Chief Operating Officer (COO) - Posted July 2016
Upstate Coin & Gold is a leading nationwide precious metals trading company seeking new talent to add to our quickly expanding team. We specialize in creating a two-way market in wholesale bullion for companies and private investors, while simultaneously leveraging technology and finely-tuned logistics to increase market share in the ever-changing precious metals marketplace. Our sophisticated business model and fast-paced environment, coupled with a focus on delivering unparalleled service, has enabled Upstate to expand and diversify our operations which we are looking to grow further.
Our innovative business model and continual strive for success has enabled Upstate Coin & Gold to steadily grow year after year since our inception. We are proud to be ranked number 554th on Inc. Magazine’s “Inc. 5000 2014: The Fastest-Growing Private U.S. Companies.” As a result, we are aggressively expanding, and we are seeking a talented and dedicated Chief Operating Officer (COO) to lead our team during this exciting time and to take our business to the next level.
The CEO is looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization, leading a team, and developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals. The COO must be a leader who is able to help others at Upstate deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality. In particular, a successful COO candidate will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. While it is essential that the COO bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, is it also critical that the team retain the creative spark that has driven Upstate’s success thus far.
Reporting to the CEO of Upstate, the COO will lead all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
- Working in partnership with the CEO, create the strategic five-year plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization:
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization
- Provide strong day-to-day leadership and strategic oversight including a clear, compelling vision, effective communication and change management, bridge departmental operations and support an open-door policy among all staff
- Communicate the branded message internally
- Finance & Accounting, Technology, Human Resources, and Production Logistics
- Cultivate the values of Upstate within the organization
- Instill a human capital development and “coaching” culture within Upstate; upgrade human resources functions including: training, development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and recruiting
- Canvas, attract, and hire new talent and identify and reward existing talent through promotions and compensation
- Enforce compliance with administrative policies, procedures, safety rules, government regulations, and
- Manage a direct staff of approximately 4-8 personnel (with overall management responsibility for 15-25+ employees and contractors) including warehouse operations, accounting, trading desk, recruitment & training, retail sales, and information
- Responsible for the company’s efficiency and profitability by controlling labor cost, improving utilization while exceeding customer expectations
- Confers and cooperates with other management personnel in formulating administrative and operational policies and procedures
- Manages the warehouse operations to efficiently receive, inventory, process, and fulfill products without claims for loss or damage
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of Upstate and be driven by the vision. The candidate should demonstrate a comfort level for ambiguity and possess a passion for breaking new ground to lead change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in management and developing and implementing organizational systems and processes. The candidate must have unquestionable integrity, credibility, and character.
The successful candidate will most likely have had management experience with a for-profit organization. As noted, this is an organization driven by the values of its people, so experience in managing a “values- driven” organization will be highly prized.
Additional requirements are:
Results—proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
Strategic Vision and Agility—ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly. Ability to quickly assimilate and understand all aspects of the business, quickly and effectively
Leadership and Organization—exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary. Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and motivate professional staff
General Management—thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
Solid educational background—undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected, well capitalized organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. Upstate is prepared to offer a very attractive compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as medical, dental, vision, generous 401(k), phone, and sick & vacation benefits.
Please submit resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upstate Coin & Gold is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Background check, drug test, and fingerprinting is required for all applicants.